Is Art Therapy Right for me?
People often associate Art Therapy with adults who are trained with using art materials or with children but it's an exciting and powerful tool for adults who are willing to give it a try...
Read below to see if this sounds like you:
- You've wished there was a way to communicate besides using words. (Maybe telepathy?)
- You've had moments where you've felt dissatisfied after trying to explain what you've experienced or felt.
- You believe you might understand yourself better if you could see your thoughts, feelings and/or beliefs.
- You have a hard time identifying what you're feeling or thinking.
- You find talking directly about your thoughts and feelings difficult or very vulnerable.
- You are sensory. You enjoy and learn through your senses. (Your friends know you'll dance around while happy, touch plants on a walk, notice beauty around you or be very impacted by your environment.)
- You LOVE Art Materials! You want to explore them and play with them.
- You learn best through action. You learn visually or by doing.
- When someone is explaining verbally how to do something, you find yourself feeling eager to get to it; you think, "Come on, come on! Let's do it!"
- You are more comfortable exploring personal problems with some emotional distance, or through metaphor. (i.e. through story, poems, games, or play)
- You like the idea of working alone on a poem or image to then possibly share or discuss with your therapist.
- You have periods of feeling overwhelmed or confused by thoughts and feelings.
If you relate to this list, Art Therapy just might be an excellent fit for you!
(What an exciting discovery!)
Art Therapy Makes Hands Happy!