Is Art Therapy Right for me?
People often think you need art training or to be a kid to benefit from Art Therapy
but that's just not true! It's a powerful tool for anyone who's willing to give it a try.
Read below to see if this sounds like you:
- You sometimes find words frustrating & wish there was another way to communicate. (Maybe telepathy?)
- You can feel dissatisfied after trying to explain what you've experienced or felt.
- You believe you might understand yourself better if you could see your thoughts, feelings and/or beliefs.
- You have a hard time identifying what you're feeling or thinking.
- You find talking directly about your thoughts & feelings difficult or too vulnerable.
- You're sensory. You enjoy and learn through your senses. (Your friends know you'll dance around when you're happy, touch plants on a walk, notice beauty around you or be very impacted by your environment, like the smells, sounds or who you live with.)
- You LOVE Art Materials and/or Colors! You want to explore them and play with them.
- You learn best through action. You learn visually or by doing.
- You are more comfortable exploring personal problems with some emotional distance, or through metaphor. (i.e. through story, poems, games, or play)
- You like the idea of working alone on a poem or image to then possibly share or discuss with your therapist.
- You have periods of feeling overwhelmed or confused by thoughts and feelings.
If you relate to this list, Art Therapy just might be an excellent fit for you!
(What an exciting discovery!)
Art Therapy Makes Hands Happy!