Is Art Therapy Right for me?
How do I know if Art Therapy may be a better fit for me than talk therapy?
Good question! Let's explore that idea...
Clues that Art Therapy may be more beneficial for you than talk therapy:
- You believe you might understand yourself better if you could see your thoughts and feelings.
- You have a hard time identifying what you are feeling or thinking.
- You find talking directly about your thoughts and feelings very difficult or very vulnerable.
- You are sensory. You enjoy and learn through your senses. (You might be the one your friends know will dance if you are happy, touch plants on a walk, notice beauty around you or be very impacted by your environment.)
- You LOVE Art Materials! You want to explore them and play with them.
- You learn best through action. You learn visually or by doing.
- When someone is explaining verbally how to do something, you find yourself feeling eager to get to it; you think, "Come on, come on! Let's do it!"
- You are more comfortable exploring personal problems with some emotional distance, or through metaphor. (i.e. through story, poems, games, or play)
- You like the idea of working alone on a poem or image to then possibly share or discuss with your therapist.
- You have periods of feeling overwhelmed or confused by thoughts and feelings.
If you relate to this list, Art Therapy just might be an excellent fit for you!
(What an exciting discovery!)
Art Therapy Makes Hands Happy!